Exhaustion, time spent in front of screens, simple ageing or prolonged lens wear… These are all factors that affect comfort and visual acuity and can accelerate degeneration phenomena. And the more the eyes force, the more they weaken and expose themselves to infections. If you have to consult the ophthalmologist regularly and in any doubt, alternative medicine offers well-being and good protection.
The homeo solution
On a case by case basis, homoeopathy offers solutions to prevent, cure and improve the comfort of the eyes. Advice from Dr Daniel Scimeca, author of Homeopathy for Dummies (First, 2010).
– Against eye fatigue: Take Ruta graveolens in 5 CH, 5 granules 3 times a week for prevention, or 5 granules 3 times a day, when the bar hits the eyes.
– To slow down the aging of the eye and the retina (AMD type): Take Aurum metallicum in 7 CH, 5 granules 3 times a week.
– In the event of infectious conjunctivitis with yellowish discharge: Pulsatilla 7 CH, 5 granules morning and evening in association with allopathic or homeopathic eye drops prescribed by the doctor.
The oligo answer
“Eye problems are increasingly being treated with trace elements, ” admits Dr Scimeca. To each their own micronutrient solution. Suggestion from the expert:
– When the eyes tend to tire: you need Zinc and Copper, 1 ampoule 3 times a week.
– To delay ocular aging: We still think of Zinc but also Nickel and Cobalt, 1 vial of each 3 times a week.
– To prevent and treat recurrent infections: Manganese and Copper, 1 vial of each 3 times a week.
The phyto and aroma reflex
– The aroma with caution: “Certain plants are the allies of the eyes, even in aromatherapy in the form of essential oils. But be careful, they should never be applied directly to the eye, ”warns Dr Scimeca. In case of eye fatigue at the end of the day, the expert recommends rubbing the neck and forehead once a day, with essential oils of Lavender and Eucalyptus, one drop of each. If the infections are repeated in periods of fatigue, we opt for essential oil of Cypress (same dosage and method of application).
– The carefree photo: “The Carnation of India rich in Lutein is the champion against ocular ageing”, assures the herbalist Thierry Folliard *. It should be taken regularly in capsules (one per day for three months with a week break every 21 days). He also offers Euphraise, aptly named “glasses breaker”, in case of tearing. It can be drunk as a herbal tea, 2 to 3 cups a day without meals: 1 tablespoon for a cup to let infuse for 10 minutes.
– The special plant recipe: Prepare each day an herbal tea made from Euphraise, Cornflower flowers, Rose petals and Chamomile flowers (1 tbsp of this mixture for ¼ liter of water). Drink 2 to 3 cups outside of meals to face long working days in front of a screen or take a long drive.
La solution Home Made
– Eat blueberries! : This fruit is very concentrated in anthocyanins and protects the vascularity, especially in the eyes. Jam every morning, or better, a fruit puree with no added sugar, or a blueberry crumble every now and then, it feels good. And it is so good!
– Make your soothing eye lotion: make a blueberry and plantain herbal tea. Let cool, filter and apply to the eyes with a compress.